Thursday, September 16, 2010

Top Ten List: What I Won't Miss About Paris

With the sudden change in our living abroad experience and the recurrent question of, "So what are you going to miss when you leave Paris?" being asked at every turn, I have been reflecting on our past year and "pense" about my French immersion.  So far it has been easier to recognize what I won't be missing...so with a tip of the chapeau to David Letterman, here is My Top Ten List of Things I will NOT be missing (subject to further review and amending)

10)  Andouillette Sausage (it is made from stomach and intestines...bwerk!)
9)  Parisians who,with noses firmly planted in books, newspapers or on their mobile, plow into me on the sidewalk even though I have been zigging and zagging in anticipation of their meandering collision course, only to look at me with disdain, as if it were my fault they walked into me.
8)  Cigarette butts everywhere!
7)  Pigeon poo on park benches
6)  Dog poop on the sidewalks and the people who refuse to pick up after their dogs.
5)  The car alarm that goes off every night at 11pm, 2am and 4:30 am.
4)  All the other alarms, sirens, bells and whistles that assault one's ears all day long
      By the way, the dinging of the 63, 86 or 89 busses which stop outside our apartment is so much a part of my psyche that on my first night home in Groton (we are here for a quick home visit), I dreamt that I could still hear them ding-ding-dinging!
3)  People who pee in public
2)  Second hand smoke
and the number one thing I will not miss in Paris
1)  Those God forsaken whiny motorbikes...just thinking about that noise sets my teeth on edge!

No comments:

Post a Comment