Tuesday, April 6, 2010

On-lookers

I may have mentioned once or twice that Parisians barrel their way down the thoroughfares. I have been bumped, nudged, pushed and plowed into on any number of occasions and that’s while I was out walking the dog! This behavior could be the seed from which the idea, Parisians are rude sprouted. They can be rude and most of the time they just don’t give a fig.



Happily though, another quirky thing happens to Parisians on the sidewalks; determined walkers stop on centime! If there is an interesting window display, a Xeroxed flyer on a phone booth, a table of used books under an awning or as I recently discovered an outstanding photo array on the wrought iron fence of les Jardins du Luxembourg, many a pedestrian stops, suddenly, firmly and focused.



Just yesterday, I had to dodge left to avoid a collision. The young couple walking in front of us just stopped, turned and stared at an enormous photo of a camel, yawning in the deep orange dawn of the Tibetan desert. I sidestepped quickly, avoiding catastrophe and continued on my way, with the cutest dog in Paris in tow. I did, however, keep that yawning dromedary in my mind, making note to stop and take a closer look on our way back home.



My method of approaching this incredible exhibit is a bit stealthier and traffic savvy...I start at one end of the exhibit and each day take in two of this pictorials displaying Nomadic life around the world. Actually, I feel my plan is somewhat nomadic as well...I travel a planned route, making frequent stops to “feed” my brain and enjoy the imagery. I wander at my own pace in order to achieve my own goal...and I keep a weathered eye to obstacles, interlopers and fellow wanderers along my route. It should take me about a month to scrutinize the images and meander along the half mile display, anchored to the fence.



I love the fact that every six weeks or so, the museum in the Palais du Luxembourg sets up these amazing photos. Back in January, we saw life along the Mekong Delta, rich in culture, eco-systems and history. My favorite pictures from that and the current displays are of the animals...but the pictures of the faces are captivating too. I also love to look at the faces of the on-lookers as well. Smiles, puzzlements...fingers pointing or poised along one’s cheek...I observe the observers and I wonder what if Harry Potter’s world really existed, what would the point of view be from the pictures’ side of things?



With the warmer weather, people are emerging from their winter dens. Cafes and brasseries are usurping every available inch of real estate along their storefronts...people eager to sit in the sun and watch the hubbub of the city... leisurely savoring a café, a beer or glass of wine... and secretly happy, because Paris is awake and so are her people.

No comments:

Post a Comment