Friday, August 27, 2010

Cliffhanger

It was one year ago this month that our lifes took a major left turn on the highway of life.  Bill came home and said, "So, how would you like to live in Paris?"  We mulled the idea for about two seconds and said to ourselves, "Heck, yeah, we can do anything for three years...it is just three years right?"

At that time, Bill was in the midst of his summer vacation and together we dreamed (there were a couple of nightmares too), stressed, planned and started to get our minds around this phenomenal opportunity.  In the blink of an eye, we were in Paris looking for a place to call home.  Blinking again, we were packed and on a plane, arriving in Paris on New Year's Eve...may old acquaintance be forgot...

I promised myself and I asked Bill too...give me six months...I need six months to shed my old skin and grow.  I need time for Paris to get under and into my skin. That was about right...it took time for me to evolve, to find my path, my pace...to "get my groove back"...not in that Stella sort of way however!  I still bleed red, white and blue, but on occasion I spill some blue, white and red too.

Over the course of these months, I started to figure a few things out...I like to write and some folks like how and what I write.  I am a pretty inventive chef and have the ability to recreate recipes.  My wine palate is refining nicely.  And to get along anywhere, you need friends, near and far.  I have both.

So it is one year later and Bill is on vacation.  We were sitting in very nice cafe in the Carrefour Odeon having a late lunch and some wine.  The cell phone rings and Bill takes the call.  I sit playing with the orechietta in my summer vegetable and pasta salad.  I drain the last drops of a lovely Cotes du Provence Rose from the glass.  I wait.

"So that was the office...do you want to guess?  Do you want to talk about it here or at home? I think I should stop taking phone calls while on my summer vacation." 

"L'addition s'il vous plait." 

The turn signal is on again....

1 comment:

  1. Huh????? So what's up? Are you moving again????? I can't stand the suspense!!!

    ReplyDelete