Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I now know why women in Paris coif their hair!

Today I went for my first cut and color in a Parisian salon de coiffure!  Yes, I know that is hard to believe that salt of the earth me colors her hair!  Well I inherited my hair color from the Reilly side of the family and most of my aunts and uncles were gray by the time they hit 30.  I started turning gray at thirty, so without my regular appointments to the colorist, I would be salt and pepper of the earth.  Maybe when I turn 50, I'll go natural...or maybe not.

At 10 am, Bill and I walked but a block over and across Blvd St. Germain to the Salon du Coiffure of Jean-Phillippe Audebert. First of all, how totally cool is it to say, "Bonjour Jean-Phillippe!" to your stylist?  We were fortunate to get this recommendation from Gabrielle, the daughter of our landlord and our new friend! This is her salon too!

Much like our experiences at my neice's place, The Salon @142 in Westford, Jean-Phillippe welcomed us warmly on this gray, drizzly day, offered to take our coats, offered cafe ou the' and seated us.  Bill was met by a charming young lady who spoke some English and they discussed what he wanted for his styling.

With me, Jean-Phillipe consulted and made some recommendations.  After 6 1/2 weeks in Paris, the hard water is taking its toll on my hair.  It is still growing like a weed, but the hair is getting very dry.  I was long overdue for a rendez-vous (that's what they call an appointment here...kinda sexy, eh?).   Between the stress of the move, the change in water and being somewhat chicken to make an appointment sooner, my hair was frightful.

Jean-Phillippe suggested that I brighten my hair with a soft brown color, touched with copper undertones.  He said the color would be just right for my skin tone.  I looked at the sample and agreed...what else was I going to do, argue?  Off he went to mix the color and when he came back he brought Alexi with him.  Alexi is about 25, and cute...not cuddly in a teddy bear sort of way cute, but cute in a 40-something-ish woman not wanting to be creepy thinking someone who could be her son, is cute.

Alexi, spoke less English than I speak French, but we managed to have a very genial conversation about our move to Paris, the sights, the issues with water on skin and hair.  After applying the color and letting me know that I needed to sit for 30 minutes, Alexi went off to tend to salon duties and I read Elle magazine... in French of course.  I read an article about the recent US/UK/Afghan conference on negotiating with the Taliban last month.  It was quite a bold and accurate appraisal of my view that the leaders of these three countries sold Afghan women's rights away from them and set them back 30 years.  It was a great opinion piece.  I also read an article about a French woman who was sentenced to 60 years in isolation in a Mexico prison.  I wasn't able to figure out why...but she is using every resource to seek justice, for she claims she was unjustly accused.  It seems to be a pretty big deal as President Sarkozy speaks to this woman regularly and this is big because she is limited to 2 phone calls per week and there are only 2 phones for 3000 female prisoners!  I also learned that glam lips are in and that orange lipstick is the new red; silver nail polish is in, purple is out...green shadow and liners are in , indigo is out and nude/natural, soft make-up (with the exception of lips) is in and goth make-up, black liner and 60's eyes are out, out , out!  Not bad... for an American girl!

Time is up and I go for my hair wash.  And here ladies is why French women get coiffed!  I have never had my hair washed and head, neck and shoulders massaged like this before in my life.  I can only describe the experience as being as close to an affair as I will ever get.  Alexi's hands were magic!  The whole process lasted nearly 25 minutes...color rinsed, shampoo (rinse and repeat), conditioner (rinse and repeat because my hair was dry), color brilliance spritz, (rinse and repeat) and oh...the massage, my scalp, my skin, my temples, the crown of my head, the base of my neck and top of my shoulders...ooh, la, la!  I couldn't help but smile and had to stop myself from nearly giggling once.   And gents...Bill and I compared notes after our rendez-vous and he had much the same hair washing experience as I!

Visitors note:  When you come to visit me in Paris, please plan to set aside a couple of hours for un coif!  You must live this experience.

Alexi took my hand and helped me down the steps from the sink area over to Jean-Phillippe's stylist chair.  I asked for a trim, but also suggested that if my hair needed something more, JP could take charge .  And  take charge he did...he took of a lot of hair from the back, which was weighing my hair down.  He framed my face, leaving my hair slightly longer in the front and after much fluffing and hair  blowing, c'est fini!  I look younger, feel refreshed and more like I belong in Paris now.

Alexi, Jean-Phillippe and I have a rendez-vous in five weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Well we'll add that to our list of things to do when we visit!!!

    J

    ReplyDelete
  2. So where's the picture of your new coif?

    ReplyDelete